It has been way to long since I’ve had a chance to blog!! We took another great trip to Bend in January and once again had a chance to hit up some great new half pint friendly venues: Crux and Worthy. Along with this we visited some other favorites that just keep getting better and better (I’m looking at you Deschutes!).
Crux Fermentation Project
Wow! That is all that came to mind when we walked in this place. Gorgeous copper kettles line this amazing brewery. Their craft brew list is huge, and they had some of the best beers I’ve had in a long time.
We didn’t have any food, but it looked great.
The only bad part if you come with your half pint is (even though this place is huge) it is packed! They have great long family-style tables to sit at…but it might be a little crammed if you have a mobile half pint. I wouldn’t hesitate to go however because it’s great. They also have a great outdoor area—so if you come in the summer your kiddo will have lots of room to run around.
Mom’s Favorite Brew: The Snow Cave
Dad’s Favorite Brew: Pleated Scotch Ale
This place is a HUGE new brewery in Bend. I have never seen anything like it. They are growing hops outside, have a green house, and have a huge brew area and a restaurant.
**Update on this! We ate food there this time and it was GREAT! The pizza was some of the best I’d had in awhile, and the people we had with us thought it was the best place we took them in Bend.
I think their food and beer just keep getting better, so this has moved to the top of my list of places you should check out in Bend if you have kids with you.
This place is very family friendly with coloring menus, running around space and a HUGE outdoor seating area.
Mom’s Favorite Brew: Lights Out Stout
Dad’s Favorite Brew: Lights Out Stout
As you may have realized we love Bend, Oregon. I have yet to visit a brewery there that isn’t great. Recently, with the expansion of their public house, we rekindled our love for Deschutes Brewery. In Bend there is both a Public House and an actual brewery with tours, and they are BOTH half pint friendly!
We haven’t taken Flynn on a tour yet but we did take him with us to the Public House last time we were in town and let me tell you, if you haven’t been there since the expansion it is a must! The atmosphere is better, the food is better, the wait is better and the beer…well, the beer has always been great. It is a great place to take kids because they have lots of room and the wait staff (from what we have experienced) is wonderful with the little ones.
I’m really excited for our next trip down with Flynn so he can go on his first tour of the brewery. As an adult you get to enjoy free tastings and the kiddos will love the fact that it’s a short tour (about 45 minutes) and there is LOTS to look at! The best part about all of it is it’s FREE (which when you are planning a trip with kids is always a plus).
As I mentioned the best thing about Deschutes (besides the fact that they are half pint friendly) is their great beers. A lot of people know that my husband and I are big fans of craft beer so we are often asked what our favorite beers are. Hop in the Dark from Deschutes is ALWAYS in my top 5. I’m obsessed with it, I stock up when it comes out in mid-spring. Really you can’t go wrong with any of their beers though—I mean Black Butte Porter is a staple in our fridge.
So pack up your kids and either head to the Public House for a yummy meal OR to the Brewery for a great tour! Either way I don’t think you or your half pint will be disappointed!
Mom’s Favorite Brew: (Seasonal) Hop in the Dark; (Always) Black Butte Porter
Dad’s Favorite Brew: (Seasonal) Red Chair; (Always) Inversion IPA
A great time at Deschutes as always!
- If your kid does have hard time standing still you can skip the tour and still just visit the brewery for a few free tastings and to check out their merchandise
- Order the sampler at the Public House! You get to pick which beers you want—I recommend the choosing ones that are exclusive to the pub (they are labeled)
- Bring some money for merchandise from the brewery! They have items at all different prices so you can get everything from a key chain to a bike jersey to remember your trip. Our favorite item is the half-pint onesie!
Website: www. deschutesbrewery.com
This is one of our favorite breweries to visit when we head down to Bend! It’s very small so that is the only bad thing, but for the most part this place allows kids and if you are outside, pooches!
The outside is great with a fire, extra seating and a fun atmosphere! We love going there because they also have the BEST pizza, and what little half pint doesn’t love pizza! Our favorite is the Cowboy.
They have a wonderful kids menu, and your kid gets a Frisbee with their meal.
Enjoy their sampler as well, it’s usually enough for 2 to share (especially if ya have your kiddos with ya!). The Sinister Black is our favorite. If beer isn’t your thing they also have a full bar with some yummy cocktails!
Great beer, great food
- Dress warm….There is lots more seating outside, so if you are ready for the weather you have a better chance of getting seated quicker!
- You can order any pizza half and half!…even if they have two different sauces so the adults can enjoy the hulk with pesto while the hp’s enjoy a regular old peperoni!
- They have a secret handle! Ask your server for what is on the “Big Handle” it’s usually something yummy and experimental like PB and J beer.
- If your little one is being fussy OR you are planning on visiting on a busy day, just call ahead and order a pizza and get a growler to enjoy at home!